Chicago General Dentistry
Your Best Smile Now
General dentistry, otherwise known as preventative dentistry, is one of the most crucial aspects of maintaining the overall health of your teeth and gums. When you turn to The Dental Standard for general dentistry in Chicago, we can help you keep your teeth clean, locate issues before they become serious, and even detect oral cancer.
Routine Visits to the Dentist
Generally, you should have a general dentistry appointment every six months. Each visit will include teeth cleaning and an examination of your teeth, gums, and mouth. The appointment may also involve the use of x-rays to ensure there are no problems structurally or beneath the surface.
If tooth decay is detected during your exam, you may require dental fillings or crowns. Should any other issues be discovered, Dr. Vlad Crutcher will help you understand your options for treating the problems as effectively as possible.
Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene
Although regular trips to the dentists are an essential component of good oral health, maintaining a healthy and beautiful smile is absolutely dependent on what you do at home in between those visits. Establishing good oral hygiene habits is crucial to keeping your teeth, gums, and mouth in great condition.
Fundamentally, good oral hygiene involves:
- Brushing your teeth at least twice a day
- Using a toothpaste with fluoride
- Using proper brushing techniques
- Flossing at least once per day
- Using antimicrobial mouthwash
- Eating a balanced diet with minimal snacking
- Limiting the consumption of sugars and starches
By following the above advice, you can prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and a range of other problems. Also, your dental visits will likely be routine and simple.
What Happens if You Avoid the Dentist?
There are many people who think they do not need regular dentist appointments, so long as they follow the steps of good oral hygiene. However, based on the experience of serving a variety of patients who thought the same thing, this is not the case. Scheduling routine dental appointments for a professional teeth cleaning and exam is necessary for optimal oral health.
Avoiding the dentist can result in several consequences, including:
- Tooth decay – While brushing and flossing help to control plaque buildup, bacteria can still accumulate and adhere to your teeth. Over an extended period of time, this plaque will attack your teeth and gums, eventually leading to decay that could require extensive restorations. We can remove such plaque buildup to prevent these problems.
- Gum disease – Your gums are intended to provide a tight cover around the base of your teeth. Without regular professional cleanings, bacteria can damage your gums and lead to periodontal disease.
- Stains – Although there is nothing in tea or coffee that will damage your teeth (unless of course it's loaded with sugar), these substances can stain your teeth. While regular brushing is not enough to prevent these types of stains, professional teeth cleaning can help remove them. If you have dark discolorations, you will likely require cosmetic dentistry procedures.
- Health issues – During your dental visit, we can detect signs of severe medical issues. Catching and addressing these problems early can help you avoid even more serious issues and costly medical bills. Oral cancers, kidney failure, hypertension, and heart disease are examples of health conditions that are often detected by a dentist.
Netflix & Drill
Relax in our massage chairs while you catch up on your favorite show with overhead TVs.
You Are Unique
Together we design a comprehensive plan to ensure you are smiling inside and out.
Minimally invasive dental care. We preserve as much natural tooth structure as possible.
Gorgeous Modern Space- Matt
Quality Work & Care- Shivam
Amazing To Me- Josh
Healthy Teeth & Forever Grateful- Ricky
Amazing & Detail-Oriented Dentist- Michael
Our vision is to create a place like no other. We have such a comfortable atmosphere that you will forget you are at a dental office. From the beautiful design to the message chairs and ceiling mounted TV's. You'll be pinching yourself to make sure you're still awake.Give Us a Call at (312) 757-8060